On Saturday mornings I love strolling through the Warwick Market Street with a freshly made coffee in my hand. The colourful characters that occupy the area make me smile, the live music is energising and the amazing smells of international cuisine that fill the air are mouth-watering.
I don’t usually brave the markets with my children so I don’t get to go as often as I would like these days. When I do go, I usually spend the morning rummaging through piles of pre-loved vintage clothes, scanning the jewellery stands for quirky pieces, sorting through mountains of old books and of course, eating a lot of food.
On my last visit to the markets, I was very excited to catch a live cooking demonstration hosted by a gorgeous Chinese lady who was a very proud, self-proclaimed housewife. It was wonderful to spend the morning watching her cook her family’s favourite meals and share her passion for traditional Chinese style home cooking.
She cooked two dishes, one vegetarian and one non-vegetarian – Sweet & Sour Fish Fillet and Crispy Bean Curd with XO Sauce. She also very generously printed both recipes on paper for her audience members to take home. I have adapted the Sweet & Sour Fish recipe into a vegetarian version, Sweet & Sour Tofu, which is today’s featured recipe. My wife and I now have Sweet & Sour Tofu on a fortnightly basis, the recipe is to die for – I just love it.
- 500g tofu – cubed
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 onion – sliced
- 1 stick celery – sliced
- 1 red capsicum – sliced
- 1 green capsicum – sliced
- 1 tomato – cubed
- 300g pineapple – cubed (fresh is best)
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- Fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp vegetarian ‘oyster’ sauce
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 100ml Mae Ploy sweet chilli sauce
- 50ml vegetarian ‘oyster’ sauce
- 30ml white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 50ml tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- Mix together ingredients for marinade and add tofu cubes, marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Heat oil in a wok, place flour on a plate and coat tofu well. When the oil is hot, place tofu into the oil until golden brown, drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and sauté onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add red capsicum, green capsicum, celery, pineapple and tomato, and then stir-fry.
- Pour in sauce mix and simmer (at this point you can use a little cornflour to thicken sauce if it is too runny).
- Add tofu cubes to sauce and mix to coat, serve over rice and garnish with fresh coriander.